Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Charleston, Part II


Tuesday morning brought my insane decision to go with Sara to a cycling class at her gym! I do love to workout, or exercise, whatever you want to call it. But, I don't know why I decided to do a 50 minute spinning class while on vacation!

We had lunch at the Graham house, then got the kids all rounded up to go out again. This time we went to see Angel Oak. I am ashamed to say that I never got a picture from far away to capture the entire tree, but just believe me when I say it is massive! It is supposedly the largest living thing east of the Mississippi River! We also saw 2 white squirrels... how random is that!

Date night was the main event scheduled for the day. Our plan was to do a "crawl" so that we could sample several different eateries in Charleston. Now, both the Grahams and Karnes consider themselves "foodies," so we were looking for some great menu choices. We stopped at Cypress for appetizers and drinks. We ordered charcuterie, tuna tartar, candied bacon, and spring rolls. Oh yes, variety for the taste buds. Our entree stop was to Anson Restaurant, which has a great reputation. 3 of us got seafood and 1 went for the special, which was a pork roast with fig jam. We voted my snapper dish as the best, but they were all excellent.

Something happened on the walk to our dessert stop. We are walking along, and we hear someone yelling "Free Samples!" from inside a candy shop. We all ducked into this place and sampled the fresh-made prailines. They were by far the best prailines I ever had. $75 later (oops!) we had a few boxes of prailines and full tummies! By the way, I do claim to be tight with my money, but I never thought to ask how much per pound! When she gave me the total, I forked over the money and was totally ok with it. It wasn't until we were driving back home that I thought, "Man, I think those prailines were like $25 a pound!" Oh well, it's vacation!




Ok, back to the crawl. We went to the Thoroughbred Club for desserts. Some were too full to have their own, but I took one for the team and ordered my own creme brulee with coffee. At that point, I pledged to never over-eat again!! Not really, but I was uncomforably full!

This is the point where our crawl was truly a crawl. We had one more stop to Club Habana for the guys to have a cigar. Jason looked like someone from the Godfather movies back there in the corner smokin' on his cigar! It was surely a complete date night, one full of memories! Thanks to the Grahams for the double date and the great recommendations all night!


No comments: