Saturday, February 14, 2009

To My Valentine

This is the holiday about love, so I thought I'd share about ours. Jason came into my life when I was searching for God, but definitely not a man. The mentioning of being set up with "this guy that would be perfect" for me was blown off several times. He instantly won my heart, and I'll never forget the date (just two weeks after we met) that I knew in my heart of hearts that I would spend the rest of my life with him. He has shown me agape love- unconditional love, the way God loves us. He has opened my heart to so many wonderful emotions that I had been closed off to. He has brought unbelievable joy to my life. I don't say this just because it's Valentine's and we're supposed to be in love. We have an incredible marriage relationship, an irreplaceable friendship. I trust him with all of my being. Some would say that's a little too vulnerable, I say there is no other way to go through this life together.

We have the marriage sermon series going on at church right now. I love it because it always challenges me to be a better wife. It also makes me thankful that we "have it so good." I am thankful first to God for that, because He is boss over this home and He gets the credit for the love. My job allows me so much time to think in the car that sometimes I wish I had a dictaphone to record all the things I want to say. I felt like I could have written a book yesterday, and now it's not all coming to me! I guess my main point is that we have this incredible love between each other not because of a feeling. The love comes from God, and we recognize that fully. We would be nothing without His love.

Here's a song I've been hearing on the radio by Pink. It's called So What, and I say it's the epitome of Hollywood love:
I guess I just lost my husband, I don't know where he went, So I'm gonna drink my money, I'm not gonna pay his rent, I gotta a brand new attitude and I'm gonna wear it tonight, I wanna get in trouble, I wanna start a fight. So, so what, I'm still a rock star, I got my rock moves, And I don't need you, And guess what, I'm having more fun, And now that we're done, I'm gonna show you tonight, I'm alright, I'm just fine, And your a tool...
That's all I could bear to put down. It's the culture of love that is portrayed to young people: you don't give me what I want, then forget you. It's my life and I'm moving on. Love is not about attraction, sex, and trophies.

Love is not about power or fear. Love is thinking about the other person first. Love is being heartbroken by his heartbreaks. Love is laughing from the depths of your gut. Love is always choosing the best for him, even when it's not what you wanted. Love is sharing your everything. Love is complete trust. Love is forever.

I love you Jason Karnes. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'll warm your towel forever! ;)

1 comment:

Sara Graham said...

Amazing, wonderful post!! I am so glad you and Jason have such a sweet relationship. I've seen it firsthand and I am a believer!! And it's great that you two give the credit to God.

I think I am going to print this off and keep it. Your last part is so true; kids today, who have wordly values, have no idea what real love is. Heck, I didn't understand it for so long. I am glad God has changed me.

I love you, girl!! Give your Valentine (well, all four of them!) big hugs from Sara! xoxo