Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Memory_6

The Dirt Slide
We moved to Texas from Montana when I was 4 1/2 years old. For the first several years we were here, we would drive back up to MT and stay for a couple of weeks each summer. I was infamously car-sick on these trips, but that is not the subject of this post!

Both sets of grandparents had big ranches. We would stay with my maternal grandparents, whose ranch was located in the very southeastern corner of Montana. We would climb up into this mountain up behind the horse barns and build forts. One summer, our cousins were so excited to show us the new form of fun up on the mountain: they had made a dirt slide going down the mountain! I remember getting so tired climbing up, resting for just a minute, taking a deep breath, then bumping and sliding down to the bottom!

This is the first time I recall feeling butterflies in my stomach. On the first time down the slide, there was a slight hesitation after watching the person in front of you go down pretty fast. Not to mention the grade of the hill looking much steeper when you're about to take off! Does anyone remember the Der Stuka slide at Wet 'n Wild? Same kind of feeling in your tummy: fear plus excitement mixed together!

Of course, the Der Stuka was wet and clean and supervised. I also remember that when we would come back from doing the dirt slide all the moms would make us empty the dirt from our boots and clothing before we came near the house! Being a mom now, I figure they dreaded the laundry after a day at the dirt slide!

No comments: