Sunday, January 09, 2011

Old Friends

I was able to get together with several old friends from high school yesterday in celebration of another new baby coming along! I may be the worst at keeping in touch with people, but I also think it's just kind of how life goes. I do not facebook, so I'm way out of the loop on most stuff. My cell phone number changes more frequently than I care to admit, so that also makes it hard for people to keep up with me! (That number change is related to work, not because I don't pay my bills... it's a work phone- more on that later.) With that said, we had a wonderful time visiting, laughing, and catching up with each other! We pledged to get together this summer, and not let another 3 years pass before we see each other again... we'll see!!

About the cell phone... Verizon is supposed to announce next week that they are going to start carrying the iphone. We are such loyal customers that we have put off getting an iphone because we didn't want to switch carriers. I actually have my cell phone through my employer, but I have this feeling that if Jason gets one I will want one too! Call me a technology brat!

After getting away from the Holocaust scene (for maybe one month) in my reading selections, I read a highly recommended book in that genre called The Girl with the Green Sweater. This is a memoir about a family- man, wife, young girl (7), and young boy (3)- who lives in Poland during the German occupation. Wow! Again, a story of miraculous survival. This Jewish family hid from apartment to barracks to ghetto until there was nowhere else to run. Where did they go? They lived in the sewer- yes, as in underground sewer- for 14 months with seven other adults. There were 3 sewer workers that they made a financial arrangement with to bring them food and provisions during their stay at what they ended up naming the Palace. The details in this story of survival are incredible. The lessons about family, a mother protecting her babies, a father fighting for his family, terrified children who learn at a young age to be silent at the sound of boots approaching their hiding place, not seeing sunlight for over a year, but most of all their loyal and dedicated helper who cared for them during their time in hiding. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

2 comments:

Lissa Michelle said...

i want to read that! and i also want an iphone, but i am married to the antithesis of a technology brat. he doesn't see the use for any fancy phone. ugh. :(

Unknown said...

Jeremy will be SO excited (and me too, because if he gets one, I AM!). You should have heard him harassing the Verizon girl this summer when she called to try to get him to upgrade from his free little phone...