Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy Holiday

This has been a great holiday season. Jason and the kids' two-week break is coming to an end, and my several days off work are also coming to an end. Jason has been working like a mad-man around the house. He has re-organized, re-arranged, and cleaned out nearly every room we have. My guess is that he was getting some kind of therapeutic release from the months of intense studying by doing physical labor! Whatever the reason, it has sure improved the looks around here! We have also done the annual "inventory-control" purge in the kids' rooms!

We've had several family game nights, including extended family on Jason's side. His parents got us Band Hero for the Wii which has provided some entertaining moments through the week! Jason and I have had two dates... one to see True Grit and one to go out to Bonnell's. True Grit is an awesome movie for anyone who is thinking of going to see it. And Bonnell's, well, we've had numerous posts about the food at Bonnell's; and New Year's Eve dinner there was unbelievable!

So, I started 2010 thinking I was going to try to read at least one book a month. There's just always so much going on in this busy thing we call life, and I wanted to re-adopt the hobby of reading. 40-some-odd books later I'm looking back wondering how I read so much last year!! I've read just about every genre available, multiple time periods, etc. A lasting theme that I take away is that so many different people have endured so much suffering that I have gained a refreshing appreciation for my lot in life. Without sounding totally cliche, we have so much to be thankful for: freedom being one of the most basic ones that we take for granted. Freedom to worship, freedom to marry who we want, freedom to work (as women), freedom to vote, freedom to live where we choose, freedom to educate ourselves, freedom to go out at night, freedom to speak our minds, etc, etc! Obviously I could go on and on!

Here we are, the first random post of 2011! Happy New Year to you all!

1 comment:

Lissa Michelle said...

a book a month is my goal, too!!!! also, casey is cleaning our house like a mad man! he is in such organization mode! happy new year to y'all!