Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Couldn't Put It Down

You hear people use this old cliche about a book, and this was definitely the case for Vienna Prelude by Bodie and Brock Thoene. This is a great piece of historical fiction set in Germany/Austria in 1936. Even if you are not a history buff, you know that this was a scary time for Jews that were anywhere close to Hitler.

The story is about a German family- an Austrian woman married to a German Jew- they lived in Berlin. He fought in WWI, was a decorated "hero for the Fatherland," and a very successful business owner. All the same, the Nazis were happy to chase his family out of town and take all of their stuff. Elisa (the main character in the book) is the daughter of this couple, and she is a concert violinist in Vienna. She has to witness her father being captured by the Gestapo as they were trying to get out of Germany by train. The book is gripping with the fight to get the Lindheim family safe and in one place. I suppose I better not tell anymore details, but it is SUCH a good book!

The next book on my list is for the Book Club at StoneWater. "Never judge a book by its cover," right? I would not pick this book up in a bookstore or a library, even if it was on the clearance rack! It looks like mushy, gushy romance- but I'll give it a try. The books they pick are usually very good reads, so I should trust their judgment on this one! I think I just sounded like a book snob! I could be hard to live with if I was a food snob AND a book snob!

No comments: