Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Amazed

I was amazed by a relationship I encountered at work the other day. To protect confidentiality, I'll have to be a little vague. There's a man about 60 years old who had to go to the hospital for something, and he now needs some temporary home health care. When I called to let him know when I would be coming, I learned from his wife that the patient is deaf. She had to go to town when I wanted to come, so they had a "translator" come over.

This is the amazing part. The translator was a friend that had grown up with this man since they were 5. They now live about 3 miles apart, and they seem to have an incredible friendship. They did not use any kind of formal sign language, but they each got their points across very effectively. The friend shared some stories about how the deaf man has overcome various hardships in his life. Of course, we can only imagine what he dealt with trying to learn in school, work, and maintain relationships through his life. Kudos to this man who has stuck by his friend's side and helped him in countless situations of life!

No comments: